This is my somewhat lazy go-to recipe for flatbreads and pizza base dough. It’s quick and tasty and love that it multi-tasks for both recipes! Right now, during this pandemic, if you are running low on bread, flatbreads can be a saving grace. Add hummus or a dip you’ve made from tins of beans, you have a lovely healthy snack.
- 200g/7oz plain or wholemeal flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100ml/3½fl oz warm water
- 2 tbsp oil (olive, vegetable or rapeseed)
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, then make a well in the middle of it for the oil and water.
- I like to mix the oil and water in this well then make the dough. When mixing the ingredients all together your target is to make sure the dough cleans the bowl which will mean it’s not sticky anymore.
- Let the dough ‘rest’ for about 10 mins.
- Split the dough into about 6-8 balls, roll out. Your frying pan needs to be hot but not burning, just enough heat to let the flatbreads rise.
- Keep the cooked flatbreads warm, wrapped in foil or a clean tea towel, until the others are cooked.
- If you want crisp flatbreads you can now rub them with a little olive oil, chop into strips or triangles with scissors and then ask an adult to bake them for 5-10 minutes, or until crisp.
- You can smear with garlic butter or sprinkle paprika on top if you want to be fancy! as they are perfect for snacks/party food.